Live Board Meetings
Parks & Rec

Altering my existing home or accessory structure

An alterations requires a zoning and building permit.

Items needed for review:

  • Central Permitting application
    • or approved Town zoning application
    • Site improvement form if private water or septic is on the property
  • General Permit application
    • 2 complete sets of construction drawings,to include any engineered lumber spec sheets
      • Or 1 complete PDF file, if emailing
  • Once all items are submitted we will place you into a 10 business day review.
    • Once site plan and construction plans are approved we will notify you and request payment.
    • The zoning permit is a flat fee of $35.00.
    • The building permit is $.16 per sq foot with a minimum fee of $90.95.
    • An inspection checklist will be provided and reviewed with you at the time of permit issuance.
  • All trades are permitted separately

**Please note more information may be requested due to the type of project or location**

**Please contact your Homeowners Association (if applicable) prior to applying for a zoning permit. We do not enforce private covenants and restrictions**

Alterations Application Packet 
You can submit applications and plans via email to (Plans must be in one complete PDF file to submit digitally) or they can be submitted in our office between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.

Our address is 17140 Monument Circle, Suite 100, Isle of Wight VA 23397. We are in Building B which is the 2-story brick building across from the Historic Boykins Tavern. Our office is on the right, through the double glass doors.

If you have any questions, please email 

**Please take a moment to complete the short survey at the following link. This will assist us in making sure we provide the best service possible.

Isle Cares Feedback