The Voter Registrar-Director of Elections represents Isle of Wight and the Commonwealth of Virginia in matters pertaining to Voter Registration and Elections and represents the community by
- Working to ensure the integrity of the election process by maintaining an accurate voter registration list.
- Conducting elections under the guidance of the Electoral Board in accordance with Federal and State laws in an efficient and equitable manner to ensure fairness, accuracy and purity in all elections, including: Providing information, materials, and assistance to candidates, providing voter registration information and materials, maintaining web pages, distributing literature and developing programs specifically aimed at informing the public.
- Recruiting and training Officers of Election to serve at 17 polling locations throughout the County;
- Establishing a Central Absentee Voting Precinct for the 45 days preceding each Election;
- Developing, testing, preparing, and distributing election materials and voting equipment
Another important mandate of the office is to “…educate the general public concerning registration and encourage registration by the general public.” (Section 24.2-114 of the Code of Virginia).