Click here for online Real Estate Assessment information
As required by state law, Isle of Wight County has conducted a General Reassessment of Real Estate. All real property was assessed at “fair market value.” The reassessment is effective as of July 1, 2019. The Wampler-Eanes Appraisal Group, who was contracted by the Board of Supervisors, conducted the reassessment.
A property owner has the right to appeal their property tax assessment. The burden of proof, however, will be on the taxpayer to prove why they should have their assessment changed. Just saying, “My taxes are too high,” is not sufficient. The following may happen on an appeal: the assessed value may be raised; it may be lowered; or it may remain the same.
You may appeal by the following processes:
- The Administrative Review hearings were held April 8 – April 12, 2019 and are now closed.
- Taxpayers may appeal to the Board of Equalization by submitting a new application (see below). The Board meets for one year beginning July 1 of the reassessment year to the following June 30 of the next calendar year (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020).
- At any time, the taxpayer may petition the Isle of Wight County Circuit Court for judicial review. The Code of Virginia provides all property owners the opportunity to appeal an unfair reassessment through the Circuit Court system within four years of the effective date of the reassessment (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2023).
Scheduled Public Hearing Dates
|Public Hearing Dates||Application Receipt Date|
|July 16, 2019||May 31, 2019|
|August 20, 2019||June 26, 2019|
|October 22, 2019||August 23, 2019|
|November 19, 2019||September 30, 2019|
|January 21, 2020||November 29, 2019|
|March 17, 2020||January 24, 2020|
|June 23, 2020||April 24, 2020|
Submission of Applications are accepted until April 24, 2020 and will be accepted by the following methods:
- Mail: P. O. Box 114, Isle of Wight, VA 23397
- Fax: 757-356-9731
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walk-in: COR Office, 17090 Monument Cir., Ste 113, Isle of Wight, VA 23397