Conditional Use Permit and Special Use Permit
Conditional Use Permits
- There are two types of uses on parcels of land, permitted uses which are appropriate uses to the location and are allowed by right on a given parcel, and conditional uses which can be appropriate in the right locations and must be reviewed and approved by the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.
- When a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is needed the process normally involves having a pre-application meeting with County Staff to discuss the application and try to resolve any issues at the front end of the process.
- Next would be submitting a CUP application, which if complete will be sent out for review by County and State agencies, this takes a minimum of 30 days
- After review if there are no outstanding issues the application will be advertised and sent to the Planning Commission, where it will be discussed and receive public comment
- The Planning Commission has up to 100 days to act on the application, after which it will be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors with the Planning Commissions recommendation of approval or denial.
- The Board will then review and discuss the application and it will again be open for public comment. The Board also has 100 days to act on the application.
- After which time the application will either be approved and a conditional use will be allowed on the parcel(s) or the application will be denied and the conditional use would not be allowed.
Special Use Permits
- A Special Use Permit is for the rare occasion when the proposed use does not fall into a use type as defined by the Isle of Wight Zoning Ordinance.
- When a use is deemed by the Zoning Administrator to be an undefined use type it must be reviewed by the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors for its compatibility with surrounding land uses in the proposed location.
- The application and review process are the same as that of a Conditional Use Permit.
Prior to submitting and application, we recommend scheduling a pre-application meeting to review the application and discus any questions the applicant may have. Pre-application meetings are scheduled for the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 9 AM. Please call Economic Development at 757-365-6249 for meeting information.
You can submit applications and plans via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications must be in one complete PDF file to submit digitally) or they can be submitted in our office between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Our address is 17140 Monument Circle, Suite 101, Isle of Wight VA 23397.
If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com or call 757-365-6211.
**Please take a moment to complete the short survey at the following link. This will assist us in making sure we provide the best service possible.