Applying for a Home Occupation
Running a business from your home is considered a home occupation.
- There is a Type I and a Type II home occupation and they are based on your zoning classification. Section 5-5002.H states the permitted uses for each home occupation as well as general standards.
- A zoning permit for a home occupation is the first step in applying for a business license.
- If you are located in town limits of Windsor or Smithfield, please contact their offices for your zoning/business license.
- A zoning permit is a $35.00 flat fee and does NOT expire as long as the type or location of the business does not change.
- Once your zoning permit has been issued, the next step is to contact the Commission of Revenues office at 757-365-6321, to obtain your business license.
Home Occupation Application Packet
If you have any questions or to submit your application please email email@example.com. They can also be submitted in our office between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Our address is 17140 Monument Circle, Suite 100, Isle of Wight VA 23397.
**Please note, more information may be requested due to the type of project or location**
**Please contact your Homeowners Association (if applicable) prior to applying for a zoning permit. We do not enforce private covenants and restrictions**
**Please take a moment to complete the short survey at the following link. This will assist us in making sure we provide the best service possible.