Lost & Found Animals – How to report
If you are MISSING an animal we suggest that you follow these steps:
- Report your missing animal to our facility at 757-365-6318
- Email a photo of your pet to email@example.com along with a brief description so we can attach a photo to our reports. This is extremely helpful when matching descriptions.
- Contact any surrounding county/city shelter in case your pet has traveled.
- Make sure to update any information registered on the animals microchip.
- Reach out to local businesses with flyers
- Post your flyers and descriptions to all local Facebook pages:
– Lost & Found Pets – Hampton Roads, Va and
– Join/search neighborhood Facebook pages/groups
- Download the Nextdoor App
– All yard sale sites conjoining to your area
- Check all of your surrounding facilities at least once a week for your pet. Many shelters are busy and often use a variety of descriptors to label pets. Even though you have made a verbal report, some times things do get over looked.
If you have FOUND a stray please follow these steps:
- Report that you have found the stray immediately to the IOW Animal Services with a description and location in which the animal was found. 757-365-6318
- It is required by Virginia State Law that any stray animal that has been found must be reported within 72 hours to the nearest shelter in which the animal was found.
- Once the animal has been reported as found, an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched to the location to pick up the animal. If the animal has been reported during hours in which the shelter is not open and you are able to provide the animal with a safe place to stay for the night, the officer will be dispatched first thing the following morning.
- It is important that all stray animals running at large are impounded at the facility during the Stray Hold period to allow the rightful owner to reclaim the animal. Stray holds vary from 7 to 12 days in our facility.
- Make sure that any stray you have found is scanned for a microchip by a local vet or by the shelter.
If you have any other questions, please contact the shelter directly at 757-365-6318 or firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you have previously made a Lost & Found Report with our facility and the animal has since been found or reclaimed by the owner, please inform staff so we can remove the report from our records. Thank you!*