Calling of a Primary
The calling of a primary as a party’s method of nomination does not automatically mean that a primary will be held. In accordance with VA Code Section 24.2-526, a primary is only held when multiple party candidates qualify for the primary. The candidate filing window for the primary begins at noon on March 10, 2014 and runs through March 27, 2014 at 5pm (24.2-522). Political party chairs are given until April 1, 2014 at 5pm to certify the qualified primary candidates (24.2-527). The State Board will issue an email notice on April 2, 2014 as to where primaries will be held.
The Isle of Wight Electoral Board holds a monthly board meeting at 1:00pm on the first Wednesday of each month in the Registrar’s Office Conference Room. For more information, call 757-365-6230.
To apply to register to vote online or to update your current voter registration click here.
The Voter Registrar represents Isle of Wight and the Commonwealth of Virginia in matters pertaining to Voter Registration and Elections and represents the community by
- Working to ensure the integrity of the election process by maintaining an accurate voter registration list.
- Conducting elections under the guidance of the Electoral Board in accordance with Federal and State laws in an efficient and equitable manner to ensure fairness, accuracy and purity in all elections, including:
- Recruiting and training over 160 Officers of Election;
- Preparing 14 polling locations located throughout the County;
- Establishing a Central Absentee Voting Precinct for the 45 days preceding each General Election;
- Developing and delivering election materials;
- Testing and distributing election equipment;
- Providing information, materials, and assistance to candidates.
- Providing voter registration information and materials, maintaining web pages, distributing literature and developing programs specifically aimed at informing the public.
Another important mandate of the office is to “…educate the general public concerning registration and encourage registration by the general public.” (Section 24.2-114 of the Code of Virginia).
|Voter Registration||Absentee Voting|
|Voter Registration Application||Absentee Ballot Application|
|Election Calendar||Polling Places|
|Meet Our Officers of Elections||Electoral Board|
|Precinct Maps||Where Do I Vote?|