News and Opportunities
Green Learning Guides NOW AVAILABLE Do you know exactly where the water goes when it rains in Hampton Roads? Or the name of the watershed in which you reside? Green Learning is a free educational guide designed to teach the region’s sixth grade students these important concepts and about how their actions affect the environment in positive and negative ways. Download your copy from askHRGreen here!
Reusable Shopping Bags Did you know the average American uses 7 plastic bags each week? That’s 364 bags a year! You can bring that number down by carrying at least one reusable bag every time you go to the grocery store (or holiday shopping!) Read more about reusable shopping bags at the askHRGreen website. If you would like an askHRGreen reusable shopping bag, please call the Engineering Department at 757-365-1659 for more information.
Mini Grants for Environmental Education Need funding for your project? Submit an application to askHRGreen and receive up to $500 in funds to help reach your project goal! For information on submission requirements and acceptable grant-related projects, visit the Mini Grant Program page of the askHRGreen website.
Blackwater-Nottoway Riverkeeper Program
Meets every second Wednesday at the Paul D. Camp Community College Workforce Development Center in Franklin, Va. at 7:30 p.m. The public is always invited. Click here for more info.
Teachers and Youth Leaders
Prevent sewer overflows and keep your septic functioning properly!
See the Fat Free Drains website for information and tips.
Forms for Land Disturbance
Please check the Document Library for Land Disturbance forms and associated information.
- Report illicit discharges to firstname.lastname@example.org. Illicit discharges include disposal of any material other than stormwater into the storm drain. Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions about a discharge.
- Virginia Stormwater Management Handbook
- DEQ’s Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP)
- Chesapeake Club Ads on lawn fertilization- Save the Crabs, Sod, Appetizers
- VDOT Customer Service & Complaint Center – (800) 367-7623
Erosion and Sediment Control
- DEQ’s E&S Program Homepage
- Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook
- Isle of Wight County Ordinances – Including Stormwater and Erosion and Sediment Control
- Take a soil test BEFORE you fertilize your lawn – it is easy and inexpensive. Download Virginia Tech’s soil sample form and instructions for homeowners.
- Homeowners Guide – Ways you can reduce the amount you pollute and improve water quality; published by the Maryland Coastal Bays program.
- Rainscaping – Visit this informative website for environmental resources and ideas for your yard.
For more information, please contact the Stormwater Division at (757) 365-1659.Department of General Services Stormwater Division 17140 Monument Circle, Suite 201 P.O. Box 80 Isle of Wight, VA 23397 (757) 365-1659