Know the difference
Tornado watch – means a tornado is possible in the area. You should monitor your radio/TV stations for information.
Tornado warning – means a tornado has been sighted in the area or has been indicated by National Weather Service Doppler radar. Once a warning is issued you should take cover immediately.
Tornado safety measures:
- If you have a basement, seek shelter in the basement under a sturdy object.
- If you don’t have a basement, seek shelter on the first floor in an interior room – such as a closet or bathroom.
- If you’re in a mobile home, seek safety in a building with a strong foundation.
- If there is no time to get indoors, lie down in a ditch, depression or culvert.
- Do not shelter in a car or truck.
Important Links for Tornado Awareness
Get Weather Ready: Before a Tornado – US Weather Service (1:56)
Tornado PSA– NOAA weather info (1:25)
Get Weather Ready: During a Tornado – US weather service cartoon tornado safety (1:41)
More information on tornado safety can be found at