- Report your missing animal to our facility at 757-365-6318
- Email a photo of your pet to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a brief description so we can attach a photo to our reports. This is extremely helpful when matching descriptions.
- Contact any surrounding county/city shelter in case your pet has traveled.
- Reach out to local businesses with flyers
- Post your flyers and descriptions to all local Facebook pages such as Lost & Found Pets – Hampton Roads, Va and Lost & Found Dogs – Hampton Roads, VA ( there are many other sites but you will have to search for other lost and found pages that pertain to your location.)
- Check all of your surrounding facilities at least once a week for your pet. Many shelters are busy and often use a variety of descriptors to label pets. Even though you have made a verbal report, some times things do get over looked.
- Report that you have found the stray immediately to the IOW Animal Shelter with a description and location in which the animal was found. 757-365-6318
- It is required by Virginia State Law that any stray animal that has been found must be reported within 72 hours to the nearest shelter in which the animal was found.
- Once the animal has been reported as found, an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched to the location to pick up the animal. If the animal has been reported during hours in which the shelter is not open and you are able to provide the animal with a safe place to stay for the night, the officer will be dispatched first thing the following morning.
- It is important that all stray animals running at large are impounded at the facility during the Stray Hold period to allow the rightful owner to reclaim the animal.
If you have any other questions, please contact the shelter directly at 757-365-6318 or email@example.com
*If you have previously made a Lost & Found Report with our facility and the animal has since been found or reclaimed by the owner, please inform staff so we can remove the report from our records. Thank you!*